The Better Business Bureau serving Greater Iowa, Quad Cities and Siouxland Region is issuing a consumer alert concerning J & B Pole Buildings of Carlisle, Iowa. Joe Miller is the owner of the company.
The BBB has issued this Alert based on the following:
- The BBB has closed 10 complaints against this company and has received over 240 inquiries this year alone.
- J & B Pole Buildings has earned an F rating from the BBB due largely in part to unanswered complaints as well as the serious nature of the allegations brought up by the customers.
- According to the Iowa Workforce Development’s website, neither J & B Pole Buildings nor Joe Miller is listed as a registered contractor.
- Complainants allege that after signing a contract, they are instructed to pay a down payment ranging anywhere from $5,000 to over $20,000. Typically once the company receives payment, all contact between the customer and company ceases.
- In some instances, work was started but never completed; however most of the complainants report that Joe Miller simply took their money and they have nothing to show for it. One dismayed customer stated, “I have tried to call and email him several times in the past 4 months and have not received any calls in return. I also put down a $7,600 deposit for this building and would either like to get my building or my money back so that I can have someone that we can trust come build it for me.”
The BBB has reached out to the company on multiple occasions both by mail and phone. To date, we have not received a response. Additionally, we are in touch with law enforcement across the state and with the Sheriff’s Department in Rock Island County, Illinois.
If you have been victimized by this company, please contact the BBB as well local law enforcement.
BBB President Chris Coleman stated, “J & B Poles has earned an F rating because of their failed promises and disregard for their customers and the BBB. It is the BBB mission to warn consumers so that hopefully, no one else is scammed by this company.”
When dealing with expensive projects, finding a trustworthy contractor is vital; therefore, the BBB offers the following advice when looking for a reputable contractor:
- Be wary of companies that ask you to pay for the entire job up-front and don’t give in to “cash only” demands.
- Don’t allow yourself to be pressured into making an immediate decision.
- Verify a local phone number and address. Ask for and check local references.
- Be wary of a contractor who asks you to get the required building permits.
As always, the BBB reminds you to start your search with Trust. Find trust worthy businesses and consumer advice at www.iowa.bbb.org.
Click here to see this Consumer Alert in the Des Moines Register.
About the BBB. The BBB is an unbiased non-profit organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization’s high standards of ethical business behavior. The BBB Serving Greater Iowa, Quad Cities and Siouxland Region was founded in 1940 and is one of 114 BBBs. Locally, the BBB has over 3,500 Accredited Businesses and provides reports and on companies throughout the state. Contact the BBB at 1-800-BBB-1600 email@example.com.